A new generation of copolyester: Tritan
The materials for sports bottle and straw cup are generally pp and PE. At present, some of our products use tritan, so what are the characteristics of tritan?
Tritan full name: Tritan Copolyester, a new generation of copolyester developed by Eastman. Due to people's pursuit of quality of life and health, the market's environmental requirements for plastic raw materials are also increasing. For example, PC will produce BPA (bisphenol-A) after hydrolysis. Recent studies have shown that humans (including animals) such as long-term intake of trace amounts of BPA are highly likely to have adverse effects on the reproductive system and undermine the gender balance, so some countries have restricted or disabled PCs. In the face of environmental pressures, manufacturers are looking for materials that can replace PCs. In this market context, Eastman has developed a new generation of copolyester Tritan.
Tritan is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for food and beverage (FCN) No. 729.
1. BPA free Tritan has no BPA in the polymerization process and does not release BPA during use, meeting environmental requirements and the FDA.
2. Clear and transparent Light transmittance >90%, haze <1%, crystal-like luster.
3. Excellent impact strength The unnotched impact is constant, and the notched impact strength is between 650-980J/m due to the different grades, which is comparable to the impact strength of the US PC.
4. Excellent resistance to hydrolysis and hydrolysis Tritan is resistant to corrosion by detergents, detergents, hydrocarbon solvents, oils, perfumes, etc.; it is resistant to hydrolysis in hot, humid environments.
5. High temperature resistance The low pressure heat distortion temperature (HDT @ 0.455MPa) is between 94 °C and 109 °C depending on the grade.
6. Good mobility The test conditions are 2.16 kgf pressure and 280 ° C melt temperature. The melt index (MI) is between 15.3 and 29.5 depending on the grade.
7. Easy molding processing Tritan grades can be processed by injection molding, extrusion, extrusion (EBM), and injection-blow (ISBM). In general, molds that can be produced normally with PCs can be produced with Tritan without modification, and the production cycle times are very close
8. Easy secondary processing Tritan's secondary processing methods include: UV glue bonding, ultrasonic welding, surface printing, surface vacuum plating, and more.
9. Small residual stress of the product After injection molding, the residual stress of the product is smaller than that of PC, and no subsequent annealing is required. Tritan manufactures products that are more durable due to less chance of cracking due to residual stress during use.